Release the potential in your home

Email david@extendeddesign.co.uk

Tel 07702 682888

Extended Design LTD

97 The Farthings Astley Village Chorley



Before you commence work ensure that you or your builder has kept your neighbours fully informed on the scope of works involved.

In many cases it will be necessary to submit a party wall notice to your adjoining neighbours

Please refer to The Party Wall Act etc for guidance on what you are required to do before starting work

Extended Design Limited are not responsible for issuing any party wall notices - It is the responsibility of the Builder or house owner to carry out this element of work prior to the start of the building works


What does the Act do?

The Act came into force on 1 July 1997 and applies throughout England and Wales.

It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party

walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. It is based on

some tried and tested provisions of the London Building Acts, which applied in inner

London for many decades before the Act came into force.


Anyone intending to carry out work (anywhere in England and Wales) of the kinds

described in the Act must give Adjoining Owners notice of their intentions.

Where the intended work is to an existing party wall (section 2 of the Act) a

notice must be given even where the work will not extend beyond the centre line

of a party wall.


Adjoining Owners can agree with the Building Owner’s proposals or reach

agreement with the Building Owner on changes in the way the works are to be

carried out, and in their timing. Where there is no written consent or agreement,

the Act provides for the resolution of ‘disputes’.



Extended Design Ltd Telephone:- 07702 682888    Email:- mail@extendeddesign.co.uk

Company Number 06801934 (England and Wales)

Trading Address:- Extended Design LTD 97 The Farthings Astley Village Chorley


(Registered office : Vantage House, East Terrace Business Park, Euxton Lane, Euxton, Lancashire PR7 6TB)